Thursday, March 10, 2011

A fish or a snake....

Luke 11:11..."Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?"

I am Impatient. Impulsive. Spontaneous. Passionate. Anxious. For years, God has been teaching me to wait on Him, patiently. Ugh. That word....Patiently. It's a tough one for me. I read His Word and believe it. Yet, when I pray and seek Him....I want Him to answer me right away. I don't like to wait for the answer.

Over the past 6 months, I have watched God fill me in ways I never knew before. He has answered my prayers....my cries for help...and He has done it quickly. His answers have been so deep and so fulfilling. So why is it that sometimes He rescues me right away and other times it takes a while? I don't have the answer but I do have a thought.

In Luke 11, Jesus is teaching his disciples how to pray. They need to acknowledge that God is God. Then, they need to ask, seek and knock. Verse 10 says, "For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." The very next verse is precious....."Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead?"


Verse 11 is odd to me and yet so perfect. We ask God. We seek Him. We desire Him to answer us. Why must we wait? Because God gives the perfect gifts....the perfect answers!! He doesn't play games and He doesn't trick us. If we ask for a fish....He isn't going to trick us or scare us with a snake! When our Heavenly Father has us wait on Him for a short time or a really long time...it's NOT because He is toying with us. It's because His timing is perfect and His will is being done. Our job is not to figure out His process. Our job is to trust Him, knowing that He is God. Perfect. Holy. Patient. Gracious.....and the best giver of the best gifts!

May we wait patiently on Him to meet all of our needs. May we pray continually....asking, seeking and knocking. May God be glorified through our lives as we watch His will unfold. Thank you Lord for your wonderful gifts!!!!

1 comment: